Tunasan day/community center is part of Kanlungan sa ER-MA Ministry (KSEM). KSEM was established in 1988 in response to the growing menace of abuse and exploitation of street children in Metro Manila.
At Kanlungan, the children are provided with the necessary care, love, protection, rehabilitation and education. Driven by unity, love, respect and the faith in God, Kanlungan helps improve the lives and opportunities of the numerous less fortunate in the streets of Manila.
KSEM is a non-profit organization, licensed by the DSWD to operate as a child caring agency and is registered with SEC.
KSEM provide the following programs:
- Street Education
- Malate Open Day Camp; residential centre
- Tunasan Day/Community Centre
- Pacita residential care and training centre for girls
- Farm development Project for boys
Tunasan Day Center
Tunasan day center opened in 2002, and is located at Beverly Street, Park Homes, Tunasan. The staff comprises of Program Director, teacher, social worker and volunteer mothers. The older children also help at the centre during evenings, weekends and holidays.
Children from the surrounding impoverished areas are welcomed to the centre and nurtured by the wonderful staff.
The center provides basic health and social services for children aged 3-25. They feed nutritious meals to 50-120 children daily, teach personal hygiene and provide laundry facilities.
The nurse administers basic medical care; the children are taken to local health centres and hospitals for serious health concerns.
The center arranges educational and artistic activities. More importantly, the centre prepares the paperwork for the children to enrol at school. They assist the children in preparation for school entrance exam and assistance during the school year.
It is wonderful to see the children flourish, complete high school, some progress to graduate from college to find good jobs to support their large families. They inspire the younger children to study harder to attain their goals.
Most of all, the center nurtures, encourages and respects the children to make them feel special and loved.
The social worker coaches the parents to be responsible, ensure the children attend school, guide them with disciplining the children and conduct parent effectiveness seminars.
- ALIG Charities provide monthly allowances to Tunasan for food and toiletries.
- ALIG Charities arranges monthly visits with various activities and birthday celebrations
- ALIG members join the monthly activities.
How you can help
- Volunteer your time
- Assist with a sport activity for the children
- Donate craft supplies such as coloring books, crayons and reading books
- Donate hygiene items, toothbrushes and/or toothpaste